Recipe: Soto Madura - Madura Island style soup
Soto Madura is a spicy beef soup that has it's roots on Madura island (North East of Surabaya).
||6 - 8
||2 hours 30 minutes
- 4 kemiri nuts
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp. white pepper
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- a ½-inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced
- 6 cups of water
- 1 lb. boneless beef chuck
- 2 stalks of lemongrass
- lime slices
- 2 Tbs. raw rice, soaked in ¼ cup water for 10 minutes
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- In a food processor, chop fine the nuts, then blend them with the shallots, garlic, salt, pepper, turmeric, and ginger to form a paste.
- In a large pot, combine the paste with the water, beef, lemongrass, and 1 lemon slice and bring mixture to a boil over moderate heat.
- In the food processor, blend rice mixture to coarse consistency and add this to the beef mixture.
- Cook the soup covered, over low heat for 1½-2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with egg and lemon slices
Back to Indonesian recipes