Recipe: Pangsit goreng - Pastry parcels stuffed with meat
Pangsit is a small crispy Indonesian snack with some meat loaf inside. It is one of the easiest snacks to make.
||4 - 6
||5 minutes (per run)
For the pastry:
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pork fat or oil
- about 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour for dusting
For the stuffing:
- about 500 g / 18 oz pork or chicken, mixed with minced shrimp
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 bunch chives
- oil for frying
- Mix together the wheat flour and tapioca flour with the eggs, oil or fat and knead, adding water little by little, until a smooth dough that no longer sticks to the hands is formed.
- Then dust the dough with tapioca flour and roll it out as thinly as possible. Cut into squares 10 x 10 cm/4 x 4in.
- Wash the ingredients for the filling and the chives and chop up. Mix well. Place 1-2 tablespoons of this filling in the middle of each square of dough.
- Fold the corners of the squares on top of each other so as to make a triangle. Make a dent lengthways in the middle of the triangle to create a kind of butterfly shape.
- Deep-fry in plenty of oil. It takes about 5 minutes per run. These "pastry parcels" make ideal starters. They are delicious served with Sambal cuka or Sambal bawang pulith
Back to Indonesian recipes