Recipe: Nasi goreng - Fried rice
The best nasi goreng (fried rice) you can make! The bacon may be non-traditional, but it adds a little extra crunch. Great with chicken or beef. Nasi goreng is one of the most popular Indonesian dishes worldwide.
Ingredients for nasi goreng
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- ¼ pound (100 gram) bacon, cut into strips
- 1/8 cup soy sauce
- 1 (10 ounce - 300 gram) package frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 green onions, chopped
Directions to make nasi goreng
- In a saucepan bring water to a boil.
- Add rice and stir.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season eggs with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in small frying pan, pour in eggs.
- Coat the bottom of the pan with the eggs, in order to cook them evenly; cook for about 3 minutes.
- Flip the eggs, cook one minute more and remove them to a cool surface.
- Let them cool, then cut them into thin slices. Set aside.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.
- Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Spoon remaining 2 teaspoons oil into the skillet with the bacon fat.
- Stir in rice; break up any clumps and toss to coat with oil.
- Stir in bacon, soy sauce, peas, eggs and green onions.
- Stir and cook until heated through, approximately 3 minutes.
Back to Indonesian recipes