Recipe: Ayam Panggang Klaten - Chicken in Aromatic Nut Sauce
A tasty chicken dish, Ayam Panggang Klaten, is originated from Kalasan, Central Java. It could be served with tempe & tahu bacem alongside, and perfectly accompanied by sambal trasi and fresh salads. The chicken is marinated in a special seasoning and subsequently roasted. The chicken is tender and juicy, with a slightly sweet flavour.
- 1 chicken
- 8 tablespoons groundnut oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon trassi
- 1 cup water
- 1 dessertspoon goela Djawa (gula Java)
- 1½ cup coconut milk
- pepper, salt & kecap manis
- Blend the candlenut, shallots, garlic, cumin, coriander, sugar, salt, shrimp paste and ½ cup of the coconut milk to a smooth paste.
- Broil the chicken for five minutes on each side.
- Put the spice paste in a wok or large frying pan, and add the balance of the coconut milk, the jeruk purut, salam and laos.
- Bring to a boil, add the chicken and cook in the sauce for twenty minutes, basting frequently. When done, the sauce will have almost completely evaporated.
- Return the chicken, skin side up, and the balance of tile sauce to the broiler and broil for ten minutes, or until the chicken is brown and crispy. Serve hot.
Back to Indonesian recipes