Recipe: Krengsengan kambing - Eastern Javanese stewed goat
This is a very delicious goat dish. You can also prepare this dish with beef instead of goat. Serve with plain white rice (nasi putih).
||1 hour 30 minutes
- 500 gr goat for stew
- 2 tbsp Indonesian sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbsp black shrimp paste (Indonesian: petis udang)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil to saute
- 300 ml homemade shrimp broth
- 3 red chilli peppers, discard the seed, finely sliced
For the spice paste.
- 6 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 bird's eye chilies
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 large tomato
- seasalt as desired
- Marinate goat with sweet soy sauce and petis udang for 15 - 30 minutes.
- Grind the ingredients for the spice paste.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, add ground/pureed mixture, saute until fragrant. Add goat, stir thru until the goat meat gets stiff and add broth. Cover the skillet with lid and cook in medium heat, stir occasionally until the meat is tender and the water almost has evaporated.
- Uncover the skillet, keep stirring until the oil of the meat comes out.
- Add red chilli peppers, stir until soft. Remove from heat and serve with warmed rice.
Back to Indonesian recipes