Recipe: Ikan kuah lada - Fish in peppery gravy
This is a delicious Indonesian fish recipe. It's not hard to make this dish for yourself.
||5 - 6
- 90 ml (3 fl oz) cooking oil
- 750 ml (24 fl oz) tamarind juice, extracted from 50 g tamarind pulp and 750 ml water
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- pinch of seasoning powder
- 2 medium aubergines, quartered lengthways, then cut into 5-cm (2-inch) pieces and soaked in water
- 600 g (1 lb) Spanish mackerel or stingray, cleaned and cut into 2½-cm (1-inch) thick pieces
Finely ground paste
- 18 shallots, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 5 candlenuts
- 5 cm (2 inches) fresh turmeric, peeled
- 2 stalks lemon grass, sliced (use only the bottom tender inner part)
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried shrimp paste
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper or 15 white peppercorns
- 2½ cm (1 inch) galangal, peeled
- Heat the cooking oil and fry the finely ground paste until fragrant.
- Pour in tamarind juice. Bring to a boil.
- Add the salt and seasoning powder. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add aubergines and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add fish and cook for another 8 minutes.
- Serve with spicy shrimp paste (sambal belado for instance).
Note: If you prefer a more sourish gravy, double the amount of tamarind pulp. You can garnish this dish with scallions and sliced red chilie, if desired.
Back to Indonesian recipes