Recipe: Kari sapi - Coconut beef curry
||2 hours 30 minutes
- 350g steak
- 6 red chillies
- 1 ½ cups desiccated coconut
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 - 4 cloves garlic
- 2 stems lemon grass (or dried lemon grass soaked overnight in hot water)
- 3cm piece galangal sliced (or dried galangal soaked overnight in hot water)
- 2cm fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind (or lemon if lime is unavailable)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon ketchap manis
- 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate (mix tamarind with hot water, mix and drain the liquid to make the concentrate)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 spring onions
- Place steak in hot water and simmer over a low heat for about 40 minutes.
- Soak the chilli in hot water for about 15 minutes, then drain off the water.
- Spread the coconut on a tray and brown in the oven at about 100 deg C until golden brown (watch this it will brown quickly.
- Place the chilli, onion, garlic, lemon grass, galangal, cumin, ginger, turmeric, shrimp paste, lime rind and 2 tablespoons of oil into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- When the meat is done, remove from the pan, and cut into small rectangles, mix the meat with the paste and marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a kahrai, wok or heavy based frying pan, and cook the meat over high heat until browned. Add the coconut milk, ketchap manis, tamarind liquid and salt and stir until the mixture is almost dry.
- Add the toasted coconut and mix.
- Add a garnishing of spring onion and serve with rice and vegetables.
Back to Indonesian recipes