Recipe: Daging rendang - Beef rendang
Beef rendang has a unique flavour and by varying the amounts of sugar and chilies a whole range of effects can be produced. Serve over rice. Beef rendang is one of the most popular dishes in Indonesia.
||1 hour 30 minutes
Ingredients for beef rendang
- ¼ pound / 100 g shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 dried red chile peppers
- 3¼ slices fresh ginger root
- 3¼ lemon grass, chopped
- 1¼ teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1¼ teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1¼ teaspoons cumin seeds
- whole nutmeg
- vegetable oil
- 13 ounces / 400 g beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1-1/3 cups shredded coconut
- 3¼ whole cloves
- 2/3 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- ½ cup and 1 tablespoon water
- salt to taste
Directions to make beef rendang
- Heat the coconut in a dry wok, stirring continuously until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Using a blender or a food processor, liquidize the shallots, garlic, chilies, ginger, and lemon grass to a thick paste.
- Grind the coriander, fennel, cumin and nutmeg.
- Using the wok, fry the shallot paste in a little oil for a few minutes. Add the ground coriander, fennel, cumin and nutmeg; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring continuously. Add beef; cook over a medium heat for a further 3 to 4 minutes, or until meat is browned.
- Stir in sugar, coconut, cloves, cinnamon stick, coconut milk , and water. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer until most of the liquid has gone and the meat is tender (about 1 hour). Season with salt to taste.
Back to Indonesian recipes